Only In Israel

Sunday, November 02, 2003

Report 6

And, as week 12 slides away, I'm getting more and more frustrated...
Instead of the kewl basic training stuff we did once, we now study most of the day, train at the evenings and spend all the free time we have on learning for the daily/weekly tests, and it's getting tougher and tougher to keep sanity.
I can't even believe I was hoping to get to the course so much. So, right, the Sergeant doesn't drop us to push ups as often as he used to. And we don't spend much time in field trainings, sleeping in the dirt with the scorpions, but it ain't much better now. Much more pressure, much more obligations, and much more efforts need to be put into the course.
And here I was thinking military tactics practice was difficult, trying to stay awake in a comfortable chair learning with a commander that just might take your time home away if you dare to fall asleep is a much bigger challange.
Not even discussing the tests.
They expect you to remember every little thing they said during the lessons, every meaningless bit of information is meant to be remembered. Fail three tests, and you lose your weekend home, and will spend a month in the military without going home.
But then again, now, I can see the end of it. Two more weeks of course, then a week of tests, then training and then I'm finished. I'm no longer a rookie, but a soldier. On the way there I'll have to earn my artillery corps beret, in a 32km journey. That will happen on the 17th. Till then, all I have to do is brace myself and stay awake in classes. That's my official goal now. Pass the two weeks of the course, get home, and then get back to the military to earn my beret and officialy complete the training part of my military life.
What's next? Next I'm going to start my service, either in the northern border serving in the position I learned as an MLRS operator, or in the territories, doing security jobs (guarding, checkpoints, terrorist arrests, ETC). Basicly, I prefer the second option. Not only because I don't feel like spending 4 more months learning/training with the MLRS, also because that's the reason I came to combat units in the first place. I mean, I didn't go around bullying my mom into signing to allow me to go to combat just to be stuck in some APC, waiting for a Syrian attack which will never come. But, then again, like everything else in the military, I'll probably end up where I don't wanna be. And hey, who knows, maybe just this once, they'll make an exception and will give me what I actualy want, instead of shoving me things I don't wanna do.
I honestly hope I'll have something interesting to post when I get home (sorry if this post got you down)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home